Robert Durst has COVID-19, is on ventilator, lawyer says – Daily Breeze
LOS ANGELES – New York real estate heir Robert Durst, who was convicted days ago in a two-decade-old murder case, has been hospitalized after contracting COVID-19, his lawyer said on Saturday.
Defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin said he was told Durst was admitted after testing positive for the coronavirus. DeGuerin said he was unaware of Durst’s condition and was trying to find more details.
The Los Angeles Superior Court said in a statement on Saturday that the court was informed that a person present at the sentencing hearing on Thursday tested positive for COVID-19.
“As a result, the court will follow the guidelines of the CDC and the LA County Department of Public Health to assess close contacts of the infected person,” the statement said.
No other cases of COVID-19 have been reported.
Durst, 78, was sentenced to life in prison on Thursday without the possibility of parole for the murder of his best friend more than two decades ago. Durst, who has numerous medical issues, sat in a wheelchair with a catatonic gaze for much of the sentencing hearing.
“He was very, very ill in the courtroom,” DeGuerin said on Saturday.
He was convicted last month in the Los Angeles Superior Court of first degree murder for shooting Susan Berman in the back of the head at point blank range at her home in December 2000.
The murder had been a mystery that haunted family and friends for 15 years before Durst was arrested in 2015 over his reckless decision to participate in a documentary that uncovered new evidence and surprised him in a confession surprising.
DeGuerin said Thursday that Durst would appeal.