5 things to know today: Waterfront project, canceled petitions, aquifer ruptures, drought relief, re-election plans – InForum
1. Economic committees vote to recommend the Kilbourne project along the river
It appears that The Kilbourne Group, a long-time property developer in downtown Fargo, has won the competition to purchase and develop a parcel of waterfront property to build a 115-unit apartment building.
Their proposal received an 8-2 vote at a joint meeting of the city’s two Economic Incentive and Development Committees at City Hall on Tuesday, March 22, to recommend to the city commission that the company buys the property at 419 Third Street North, which is north of City Hall next to the train tracks, for $162,964.
The $25 million The plan is expected to be presented to city commissioners at their next meeting on April 4 for possible final approval.
It is part of a series of lands that the city is selling on the east side of downtown, near and along the river, to developers for projects in a tax-raised neighborhood in an effort to beautify that neighborhood. from the city.
Read more from Barry Amundson from the Forum
2. Term limits measure fails to pass in North Dakota after thousands of signed petitions quashed
North Dakota Secretary of State Al Jaeger announced Tuesday (March 22) that a proposed measure to set term limits for lawmakers and governors will not appear on the November ballot after thousands of petitions signed did not meet legal standards. The state’s top election official also alleged that the group behind the measure violated state law by offering bonuses to signature collectors for getting petitions signed.
Jaeger wrote in a letter to measure President Jared Hendrix that his office had dismissed more than 29,000 of the approximately 46,000 petitions submitted by the group following a review by his office and an investigation by the Office of state criminal investigation.
The group needed 31,164 valid signatures to put the measure on the ballot.
Hendrix did not immediately respond to Forum News Service’s request for comment.
Read more from Jeremy Turley from Forum News Service
3. MNR publishes details of 2 other breaches in Line 3 aquifer
From MPR News via Forum News Service
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources released details of other groundwater leaks caused by construction of the Line 3 pipeline last year.
MNR has completed its investigation of three sites where pipeline crews breached underground aquifers, causing uncontrolled – and unauthorized – groundwater flows.
State regulators previously identified one of three locations, near Enbridge’s Clearbrook terminal. In January 2021, crews installing the replacement pipeline dug deeper than planned, piercing the top layer of a pressurized aquifer.
Enbridge reported that the flow was stopped nearly a year later after releasing at least 50 million gallons of groundwater.
The DNR now says a second breach occurred around August 2 near LaSalle Creek in Hubbard County and released about 9.8 million gallons of groundwater before Enbridge reported it had stopped the flow four months later.
4. Minnesota lawmakers remove provision for deer ranchers from $10 million drought relief bill
Senators on a state finance committee on Tuesday, March 22, removed funding specifically for deer ranchers from a $10 million drought relief bill, likely easing the plan’s path through the Capitol.
Sen. Torrey Westrom, R-Elbow Lake, originally proposed and another committee advanced $500,000 specifically for deer ranchers affected by extreme drought conditions last year. The provision drew opposition from Democrats who control the Minnesota House of Representatives and threatened to derail the bill in that chamber.
Westrom said he dropped the piece after hearing concerns about funding. And he amended the bill to include $7 million in grants for farmers and ranchers of specialty crops in the hardest-hit areas of the state, as well as $1.5 million in loans to be administered by through the Rural Finance Authority.
“In most cases, this will only be a fraction of the actual cost, but a big help in maybe spending a few more weeks or months paying food bills that may be overdue,” Westrom said.
Read more from Forum News Service’s Dana Ferguson
5. Most Fargo, West Fargo School Board incumbents are tight-lipped about their re-election intentions
With five seats up for grabs and less than three weeks before the filing deadline, two challengers and so far only one incumbent have announced their intention to run for the Fargo School Board.
Current board member David Paulson said he will make his decision public at the district’s regular board meeting on Tuesday evening, March 22.
“I’ve decided to run for my third term, and this will be my last term. I don’t think people should serve more than three terms; two terms would be ideal,” Paulson said.
Other board members whose seats will be up for grabs are Rebecca Knutson, Jennifer Benson, Robin Nelson and Brian Nelson. The four said they were not yet ready to make their intentions public.
There will be four seats up for grabs on the West Fargo School Board in the June election. The positions are filled by Jim Jonas, Jessica Jackson, Jon Erickson and Mark Staples, said district spokeswoman Heather Leas.
Learn more about CS Hagen from the Forum